Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Haven at 14 Months

Hi all,

Well the big news of today is that Ethan started Kindergarten. All seems to be going well, and Ethan really seem to enjoy it which is the really important thing. However, I'm going to take a minute to vent about a new pet peeve. I've been kind of stressing over the drop-off/pick-up situation and it was as bad as I thought it would be. Ethan might need to ride the bus some which I'm also unsure about for a kindergartener. For a brand new school, they sure did a really poor job of street planning and traffic control. What a nightmare! Most Moms I talked to about pick-up said just have them ride the bus since it's such a mess. Only one street in and one out, but the buses get the only pick-up room. No room for cars so you can park and hoof it 1/2 to 1 mile to pick them up in person (which is what we did today) or you can let them ride the bus. Hmmmmm...to be continued. They do get that this is Millard right? Everyone drives their kid!

Other big happenings of the last couple of days is that Haven has started walking. She took about 8 steps on the 10th--walking from our couch past our refrigerator with no help or coaching. We were both in the kitchen so got to see it which was really cool. Then yesterday on the 11th (at exactly 14 months), she did the same thing 2X in a row. Then we sat on the living room floor and let her walk back and forth between us. We did get some video footage. I was going to post it, but am having trouble. Today she walked several more times all around the kitchen. So here we go....What fun!

I forgot to say in the last update that Haven also now says "Cheese" and smiles really big for the camera. You just have to be fast and should have the camera on and ready to go before she sees it. She may only do it once. She also says "Keys" and "Hi Guys" amongst lots of other things we've heard at least once.

I'm not sure we ever mentioned her knee crawling either. For a few months she's liked to kneel and then "walk" on her knees, but she is upright her hands are not on the floor. This way she can still carry a toy. So now she'll knee crawl/walk with a book and bring it to us so we can read it for her. Very cute!

I better run, but hey I got this done timely this month.

There are 3 pictures posts following this. Enjoy! As always you can click on an image to see it larger.

Blessings,
Shae

3 comments:

SarahRJohnston said...

Hey, don't feel too bad if he rides the bus. Gavin will be riding the bus. I wasn't too thrilled about the idea, but the thought of piling 4 kids on a winter day in the car to drive across 370, about 5 min. to get him to school at 8 am sounded like a huge nightmare. I will let you know how it goes next week when he starts. Glad to hear he had fun. Talk to you later!

Ana said...

Wow!!!
Walking? But she is just a teeny tiny baby! Why does she have to look so grown up all of a sudden?
Jasmine is helping me put together the last of the flower clips to help adorn her newly minted piggy tails.

Ana

Haven said...

I am now eleven years old! I am Haven. I found this blog about my family and I. I can't believe I remember some of this stuff!
-Haven